February 11, 2012

The way we live

I've been noticing the influence of the Internet lately.Not in a bad way, just in changing my perspective on a few smaller areas of my life. Take food, for instance; we've been going through a streak of not to healthy eating at the moment. I've always got fresh fruit and veggies around for cooking, snacking, etc. but that's not what we've been grabbing lately. A couple of days ago I stumbled onto this blog via pinterest, and have been reading through some of her posts. It's actually really interesting reading, all about a family who decided to do a 100 day challenge of no processed food. She blogged about what they did and didn't eat, meal plans, ideas for getting the food, what she buys, etc. After mulling it over for a few days my thought is that while I don't plan on doing as much as she did, I would like to implement some of the changes into our lives. What I'm thinking about is, switching from white to whole wheat flour, cutting back on sugar, and taking a look at my pantry-as far as ready made foods and what I do want to still use. One of her rules of thumb is buy nothing with more than five ingredients, and nothing that has 'chemical' names in the ingredient list. 

As far as the organic vs. non, I can't really make up my mind. I see points for the organic side and maybe it's just the stubbornness in me pushing out...don't really know:) If I do decide to lean that way at least we live in an area that has a lot of family farm grown produce and meat. And we have D&B's also in town. Looks like we might start buying a little more organic! Any thoughts? Things that you have tried and have worked?

1 comment:

Cami said...

I have to check out that ladies blog...the challenge sounds interesting and something I would do. I agree, the less processed the better. foods are best in their original state. :)

As for organic vs non-organic, once you start researching the topic you'll be hooked. I used to think that veggies were veggies...the more I read, the more I realize how much that industry has changed. Def. worth researching!