December 3, 2011

Another one Leaves the G'rage

Sung to the tune of "(Another one) Bites the Dust"


It's true, I can actually park in the garage. Mostly, it's because the husband re-arranged and moved all the rest of the projects to the sides, but hey. It works. Way back in the spring I stumbled upon two super chippy, white doors with super cool vintage door knobs. Since I had just been shown this post form Dreamy Whites, immediately I nabbed them. Two super cool doors for only $30! I was psyched. They were pretty similar but not exactly the same.

Needless to say, N wasn't even remotely excited when he saw these. In fact his reaction was "What? Don't tell me you actually paid for these things. They better have been free. Someone was laughing all the way to the bank when you stopped at their sale..etc.etc.etc." When I reluctantly told him how much I paid (after much badgering) he about had a heart attack. The conversation went on in the vein of "You had better be kidding me. You're not serious are you?!" So I told him 'fine, if you want to hear that, I only paid 3 for them.' He was much appeased. Even when I told him that I really didn't only pay 3..feeling guilty he believed me..He still felt better. I think he just convinced himself that was all I really paid. Whatever. In the end we are both happy:) Especially after I showed him the prices of other headboards I liked in the PB magazine!

Anyways, after sitting in the garage for 6 months, we finally got around to figuring out a way to make a headboard we both liked. I was initially all for leaning them against the wall, but N was no way gonna do that. He also shot down the idea of screwing the doors to the wall, either horizontally or vertically. In the end he cut a larger portion off the top of one door and the smaller area off the bottom of the other, and built a frame for them which ended up being screwed directly onto the bed frame. He also took the doorknobs off, welded them together so they won't turn and and moved them to an area less conducive to expletives in the middle of the night. 


We also monkeyed quite a bit trying to get the right and left sides to match a little more evenly. We tried staining the wood, priming and then wiping the wood, adding more white paint to some areas on the left side and then sanding. (I even contemplated stripping the whole thing and repainting but that defeated the purpose of the vintage weathered look that I bought them for.) Nothing was working quite how we had pictured it, but in the end we just got sick of  dealing with it. And we needed room in the garage. I have to say that once it got into our room I think it turned out better than I expected. I kind of like the unevenness and now just need to find some little wreaths or something to hang on the knobs.


Duvet from PB, pillow from Target, bedside table GS find


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I've always liked the idea of using an old door for a headboard. It turned out great! but I think I may have to shelve the idea for a while - I don't think Tim would be nearly so helpful and it sounds like a lot of work!! ~Lisa Salmen

Elizabeth said...

Well it probably helped that they sat for six months taking up space in his garage.. and his work schedule makes him actually want to do *something* when he's home. this was just the project to fulfill a couple requirements and save some money, since i was pretty close to just buying something:)