March 25, 2012

Cooking: Calzone

One of the kids favorite meals is a 'pizza roll'. The recipe I use is from the TRR (at least I think it was- a few years back maybe?) submitted by Mallie J.  Calzones are extremely easy to make as long as you remember to start the dough early enough as it has to rise.  Here's the recipe that I use, in my KitchenAid with the dough hook.

Dissolve: 2 packages dry yeast (or 4 1/2 tsp.) in
1/2 cup of warm water

Add: 1/3 cup shortening
4 T. sugar
2 tsp. salt
2 cups water
5-6 cups of flour (I often use 3c. Whole Wheat, 2c. white)

Mix well with dough hook, knead dough and then cover and let rise for 45-60 minutes. Divide dough in half (I always throw one half into a freezer bag and save for another time. Also you can use it for a pizza or breadsticks.) Roll dough into a pretty wide rectangular shape on a floured surface. Don't go to thin or your toppings will explode out the side when cooking. I know this from experience.

I dash a little bit of olive oil on the crust, spreading very thin and then sprinkle liberally with seasoning.

This time I used pepper, garlic, parsley and italian seasonings. Just whatever I've got on hand. After the spices you add toppings. We usually go pretty basic with pepperoni



and mozzarella. Isn't my helper cute?


Roll the calzone up loaf style, starting with the long side.



Rolling, rolling, rolling. Then tuck the edges under and place on a greased jelly roll pan. I always end up curving mine since it's to long.


Here it is all ready to pop into the oven. Bake at 375 for  30-40 minutes. It should be a nice golden brown when it's done.  Now you're all ready to slice it up and dip into your favorite pizza or spaghetti sauce. Enjoy:)



1 comment:

~ Jennifer J. said...

That sounds so good! I love calzones. I haven't made one in a long time - maybe this will inspire me.

~ Jennifer